This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes to us from Kellen Moore, a We Olive Thousand Oaks customer. His inventive flatbread is made from a veggie-based crust making in both vegetarian and gluten-free!
- 20 ounce package frozen cauliflower
- 1 zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 24 Seasoning Blend
- 3/4 cup reduced fat smoked gouda cheese
- 3/4 cup – shaved parmesan, romano, and asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons We Olive Fresh Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 medium shallots
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup We Olive Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegar
- 8oz sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil for garnish
(1) Finely shred 1 zucchini. Cook frozen cauliflower per package instructions. With a food processor chop the shredded zucchini and steamed cauliflower until the vegetables are fine and granular (the goal is to replicate flour).
(2) With a thin kitchen towel, take a moderate handful of the fine cauliflower and zucchini, place in the center of the towel, and strain the liquids out. Place dry cauliflower and zucchini mixture in a large mixing bowl. Repeat step until all of the cauliflower and zucchini has been strained of liquids. (tip: do this step numerous times in small amounts to ensure the majority of the liquid is removed).
(3) Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup of Reduced Fat Smoked Gouda cheese, 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan Romano and Asiago cheese, 1/2 tsp of black pepper, 1 Tbs of 24 Seasoning Blend, and a pinch of salt to the dry cauliflower and zucchini mixture. Mix all ingredients together.
(4) Grease a large cookie sheet and place the vegetable flatbread mix on the sheet. Mold the mixture into an oval shape and evenly distribute.
(5) Glaze the top of the flatbread with 2Tbs of We Olive Fresh Garlic Olive Oil.
(6) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. While oven heats, finely slice 1 white onion and 2 medium shallots.
(7) Heat a large skillet with 2Tbs of We Olive Fresh Garlic Olive Oil. Add sliced onions, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and 2 tsp of salt. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until onions have caramelized (golden), stirring regularly.
(8) While onions cook, place flatbread crust in oven for 35-40 minutes (until crispy and golden brown).
(9) Heat a medium skillet with 2 Tbs of We Olive Fresh Garlic Olive Oil. Add sliced mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
(10) Cook the mushrooms for 5 more minutes with 1tsp of Salt (or until soft) and remove from heat.
(11) Once the onions have caramelized, add 1Tbs of brown sugar and continue to stir for an additional 10 minutes.
(12) Add 1/3 cup of We Olive Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegar and cook for an additional 10 minutes (until the vinegar is thick and infused in the onions).
(13) Remove the flatbread from the oven and even distribute the onions, layered with the mushrooms, and sprinkled with 1/4 cup of Reduced Fat Smoked Gouda Cheese and 1/4 cup of shaved Parmesan Romano and Asiago cheese. Garnish with basil.
(14) Once the toppings have been placed, return to oven for an additional 10 minutes (or until cheese is melted and golden). Remove from oven and wait 5-10 minutes for flatbread to cool. Serve and enjoy (can be garnished with additional fresh basil).
Notes from Kellen: This is a simple dish to make with a very elaborate taste. I used reduced fat Gouda cheese and Parmesan Romano and Asiago not only for their flavor combinations, but both cheeses are fairly low in saturated fat in comparison to standard flatbread cheese. The dish was designed with taste and health in mind, utilizing my favorite We Olive ingredients. The Blood Orange vinegar provides the flatbread a citrus fragrance that could be easily complimented with a wine and served as either an appetizer or an entree.