This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Ken Hargreaves of We Olive Paso Robles. Ken says:
“This is our go-to recipe for summer grilling. The foil pocket steams the fish perfectly and the citrus brings out the flavor ! We like the toasted hazelnut taste mixed with cilantro for the pesto sauce.”
- 2 Wild Caught Halibut Fillets (about 6oz each, skin-on)
- 5 limes
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp We Olive Collection Arbequina Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Pasolivo Lemon Blend
- pinch of Emeril’s Fish Rub
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 jalapeno
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz chopped spinach
- 8oz peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Heat your grill to 350 degrees. As it heats, prepare your halibut by creating a foil pocket to grill it in. Place fish skin side down on one piece of foil and drizzle with 2 tbsp of Pasolivo Lemon Blend olive oil. Season with Emeril’s Fish Rub and top with the four sliced limes. Cover with a second piece of foil and fold all of the edges together to form a tight seal. Grill about 8 minutes and then flip and grill for another 8 minutes. Let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Be careful when you open the foil packets- they are steamy !
2. To make the spinach-pea mash, heat 3 tbsp of We Olive Collection Arbequina Olive Oil in a medium size pan. Add spinach and peas and cover for about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover again for another 4 minutes. When most of the liquid is dissolved add the butter and mash it up with a potato masher. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. To make the Cilantro Pesto to top your fish, puree the cilantro, one cup of We Olive Collection Arbequina Olive Oil, toasted hazelnuts, and garlic in a blender. Add the juice of one lime and chopped jalapeno, season with salt and pepper. This is good room temp or chilled!
You haven’t had halibut until you’ve had this @