This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Linda Windsor, a We Olive Ventura customer. Linda tells us, “This recipe combines California’s favorite summer flavors, strawberries and lemon, with garbanzo beans to create a light and bright dessert spread or dip. Don’t worry, the garbanzo beans take on the flavors of the fruit, and no garlic is included in this recipe. In addition, almond butter (another Central Coast flavor) is used instead of tahini to perfect the consistency.”
1 14.5 oz can Organic Garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon We Olive Organic Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
1/2 to 2 Tablespoons Organic Smooth Almond Butter
1 pound fresh California Strawberries
1. Wash, drain, hull, and dice the strawberries
2. Combine the beans, EVOO, and 1/2 Tbsp almond butter in a food processor until smooth.
3. Add the strawberries to the bean mixture in the food processor bowl, and process until smooth, scraping the workbowl to make sure the mixture is fully combined and consistent texture.
4. Add more almond butter if necessary to reach the proper consistency. Riper (and softer) thawed frozen strawberries will require more almond butter. If the mixture is still too runny, you can add a vanilla-flavored protein powder to bulk it up (bad pun!)
5. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours to allow the flavors to meld.
6. Enjoy the spread on a complimentary or mild flavor cookie (Trader Joe’s Lemon Thins or Trader Joe’s Toasted Coconut Thins are delish!), graham crackers (or by the spoonful).
Add 2 Tablespoons baking cocoa to the bean mixture
use 1 Tablespoon Blood Orange Olive Oil (instead of Lemon)
Omit the strawberries
Add 1/4 C mini chocolate chips (after the bean, cocoa and EVOO are thoroughly mixed).
Prepare and chill as above.
Serve on vanilla or chocolate wafer cookies, Trader Joe’s Graham or Chocolatey Cats cookies, or even on your favorite biscotti.
Leave a Reply