This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes to us from Margee Berry, a customer of We Olive & Wine Bar at the OC Mix. Her Peach topped spice olive oil cake is served warm with ice cream and a burnt honey vinegar sauce drizzled over.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon We Olive Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange peel, divided
- 1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 5 medium peaches(about 1-1/2 pounds)halved, pits removed and each half cut into 4 slices
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar(raw sugar)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons We Olive Peach White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 quart French vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven 350F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch round springform pan with the 1 teaspoon olive oil. In a large bowl use an electric mixer blend on medium speed the 1/2 cup olive oil, granulated sugar, eggs, orange juice, and 2 teaspoons orange peel.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, all spice and cardamon together, beat into egg mixture until blended. Transfer batter into prepared pan. Arrange peach slices in concentric circles to cover top, gently press into batter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over peaches. Bake cake in center of oven until golden about 35 to 30 minutes. Let pan cool slightly on wire rack for 15 minutes.
3. While cake is cooling make sauce by heating honey in small skillet over medium heat. Swirl skillet often until honey starts to brown and bubbles about 4 minutes. Remove from heat stir in vinegar and remaining orange peel. Keep warm on low heat.
4. To serve, remove rim from springform pan, cut cake into wedges then serve each with a scoop of ice cream and last drizzle honey sauce over.
Margee’s Notes: Browning the honey brings out a richer flavor to the honey-it’s kind of like brown butter.
Leave a Reply