Need to use those apples from apple picking? We have the perfect recipe for you! This Bavarian delicacy is commonly made at home, cozy on up, and enjoy this yummy dessert with friends and family.
- 2 to 3 baking apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- We Olive Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for frying)
- Cinnamon sugar (optional for serving)
- Vanilla sauce (optional for serving)
- Peel and core the apples. Slice 1/4 inch thick or a little thinner. Brush with lemon juice.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, flour, milk, sugar, and salt until a thick batter forms. Add more milk or flour as necessary.
- Stir 1/3 of the stiff egg whites into the batter to loosen. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites for a light, fluffy, but not runny, batter.
- Heat 2 to 3 cups of oil in a large saucepan. Heat the oil to 350 F (190 C). Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil in a large pan to 350 F. Check the temperature with a frying thermometer or test it by throwing in a 1-inch cube of bread. If it browns (but doesn’t burn) in 60 seconds, your oil is about 365 F. Alternatively, get out your deep fat fryer and follow the directions.
- Drain the apple rings as necessary and coat them with some flour, then dip them in the batter with a fork.
- Place them carefully in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn them over and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- You may wish to keep them warm in a warm oven until they are all baked. Served soon after by sprinkling with sugar and cinnamon or vanilla sauce or both.