Lauren Mahlke, culinary whiz at We Olive Walnut Creek, shared this knockout recipe for breakfast crepes. Enjoy!
Makes 18 crepes
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup club soda
3 tablespoons Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 3 tablespoons for cooking the crepes
For the filling:
Raspberries, sliced strawberries or bananas
Your favorite fudge sauce (Lauren likes B.R. Cohn’s Chocolate Raspberry Cabernet Fudge)
To make the batter:
1. In a mixing bowl, add the flour and salt and make a well in the center. Add the remaining ingredients, except the olive oil, into the center of the well and whisk together until just combined. The mixture should be like VERY loose pancake batter. If the mixture is a little thick, whisk in a little more milk. Let the batter sit for at least 30 minutes before using.
*Tip: Crepe batter can be made up to 2 days in advance, covered and refrigerated.
To make the crepes:
1. Heat about a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small nonstick saute pan. The olive oil should coat the bottom of the pan, if there is a lot of excess, wipe it out with a paper towel. Keep the paper towel handy in case you need it again (you will).
2. Put the pan over medium heat. Fill a 2-ounce ladle, almost to the top, with batter and pour it into the preheated pan, tipping and rolling the pan, as you ladle the batter, to evenly cover the bottom. This will take a little practice, even when you are an experienced crepe maker the first couple always get wasted. Accept it and move on!
3. When the edges of the crepe begin to pull away from the edges of the pan and the bottom begins to brown a little, turn the crepe over and cook it for about 1 minute on the other side. Remove the crepe from the pan to a plate and let cool. Stack the crepes as they are cooked between parchment paper squares. Repeat this process, until all the batter is used, wiping the pan with your paper towel or melting a little more oil to the pan, as needed.
4. Fill crepes with mascarpone cheese, raspberries, strawberries, or bananas and top with fudge sauce. Enjoy!