This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Joey Cattone, a We Olive El Dorado Hills customer. Joey says: ” This easy preparation and simple saute using two of We Olive signature olive oils and their Pineapple Balsamic, turn an ordinary vegetable into a flavorful fix ahead dish fit for a party.”
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts – off the stem
- 6 Tablespoons We Olive Garlic Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons We Olive Lemon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons We Olive Pineapple Balsamic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pineapple = optional
1. Wash 2 lbs of brussels sprouts . Trim ends and discard outside leaves and blemished leaves. Cut brussels sprouts in half and set aside. ( do not toss the extra leaves that fall off at this point )
2. In a large non stick skillet place a thin coating of Garlic olive oil ( approx 2 TBL ) into the pan that is hot and has been set on medium . Turn the heat down to medium low and place as many of the brussels sprouts , cut side down ,that will fill the bottom of the pan in a single layer. . Place the lid on the pan. Cook on medium to medium low until brussels spouts are golden on the cut side and about 3/4 of the way tender.
Toss the brussels sprouts in the pan with 1 Tablespoon lemon olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Spread out into a single layer again , flipping to the leafy side of the sprouts and replace the lid. Continue to saute another 2 minutes or until the brussels sprouts are tender . Add 1 Tablespoon of Pineapple Balsamic to the pan and toss . Remove from heat and place sprouts into a bowl.
3. Repeat the processs until all the brussels sprouts are cooked. Amount of olive oil indicated n the recipe is based on completing the pan fry three times.
It will take several repeats to complete the 2 lbs of brussels sprouts – depending on pan size . Recommended frying pan size is no greater than 2 inches larger than the burner on which it is being used to allow for even browning of the brussels sprouts . When reheating the Brussels sprouts , an optional presentation is to toss with pineapple chunks ( 15 oz – without juice ) or freshly cut and cubed pineapple .