- Cooking spray
- 3-1/4 oz. (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour
- 3 oz. (2/3 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup We Olive Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbs. unsalted pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas; optional)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk both flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, We Olive Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and honey until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a large spoon just until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter. Sprinkle the top with the pumpkin seeds (if using), pressing them down lightly. Bake until the top is browned and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. (If the bread begins to brown too much before it’s fully baked, lay a piece of aluminum foil on top.) Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer the bread to a rack to cool completely before slicing.
Recipe inspired by Fine Cooking