This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Lisa Hammond of We Olive Ventura. Lisa describes her hot cocoa recipe as “a yummy citrusy, cinnamony tasting cocoa on a cool morning (or any morning!). It’s velvety smooth, not-too-sweet taste makes it a great start to your day!”
- 1 cup organic milk (nonfat, 1%, 2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla (alcohol free)
- 1 dash cinnamon (approx. 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon We Olive Orange Olive Oil
1. Pour the milk in a small saucepan over a low heat (it’s important to keep the heat low so the milk doesn’t scald). Add the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk together as the mixture warms (approximately 5-10 minutes). The cocoa powder takes a little bit of time to get mixed in with the milk so be patient! When the mixture is at a temperature you like, add the olive oil and continue to cook over a low heat for another minute or two. Pour into a mug and enjoy! Garnish with a slice of orange if desired.
Note: As you’re drinking the cocoa you made need to stir as the unsweetened cocoa powder doesn’t always stay mixed.