This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Sue Moravec, a We Olive Thousand Oaks customer. Sue describes her dish as “the taste of summer brought to you on an easy to serve, and even easier to eat, flat bread. The perfect light dinner for 1-2, or small-plate bites to share with friends.”
4 oz chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbls We Olive Peach White Balsalmic Vinegar
1 Tbls We Olive Arbequina Olive Oil
½ Tbls unsalted butter
½ c thinly sliced red onion (about 1/3 med. onion)
¾ c. low-sodium chicken stock
1 Tbls. brandy
Flat Out Thin Crust Flatbread Artisan Pizza, Rustic White, 1 Flatbread
2 Tbls. The Gracious Gourmet Smokey Ginger Peach Spread (found at your local We Olive store!)
½ c. baby arugula
1 ½ Tbls. crumbled feta
Salt & White Pepper (to taste)
1. Slowly whisk olive oil into vinegar (to avoid separation). Pour roughly 2/3 oil marinade over chicken and let marinate for at least 30 minutes (can be marinated up to 1 hour)
2. While chicken is marinating, thinly slice red onion using a mandolin. Cut onion rings in half. Melt butter in sauté pan and add onions, cooking over medium heat until soft but not brown (about 3 minutes). Slowly add stock, using about ¼ c at a time, allowing liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Add brandy before last ¼ c of stock is added.
3. While onions are cooking, pre-heat oven to 350° F
4. When onions are done, remove from pan and set aside. In same pan, cook chicken over med-high heat. While chicken is cooking, cook flatbread on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
5. Remove flatbread from oven. Spread Ginger Peach Spread evenly over the flatbread. Top with onions and chicken. Return to oven and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
6. While flatbread is cooking, toss arugula with remaining oil-vinegar marinade from Step 1 (may need to re-whisk mixture to blend) and season lightly with salt and pepper. When flatbread is done, remove from oven and top with feta and arugula. Return to oven for 30-45 seconds, or until arugula is warm and soft, but not wilted.
7. Cut into 8 pieces and serve with remaining arugula.