This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from Bambi Corso, a We Olive Thousand Oaks customer. Bambi tell us, “The unique flavors of basil combined with arugula creates a delicious pesto sauce, which combined with goat cheese and avocado make an omelet that is a complete taste thrill!”
FOR THE PESTO SAUCE:
9 cups (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves
1 cup loosely packed Arugula leaves
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup raw Pine Nuts
2 Garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon Salt
Dash Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2 cup We Olive Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
FOR THE OMELET:
3 Eggs well beaten
½ Avocado, sliced
½ cup Goat Cheese crumbled
½ cup Basil & Arugula Pesto Sauce (Original recipe above)
1/8 cup We Olive Aged Balsamic Vinegar reduced to 1 tablespoon
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 tablespoon butter
Preparation of the Pesto Sauce:
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. In the sink, place another large bowl of ice water. Working in small batches, blanch basil/arugula for 10 seconds. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer basil/arugula to the ice water; let cool completely. Set aside 1/2 cup of the blanching water. (Reserve pot with blanching water until pesto is complete).
2. Drain basil/arugula by lifting it from ice water with the slotted spoon. Using your hands, squeeze excess water from basil/arugula; transfer to paper towels. (You should have approximately 1/2 cup.)
3. Using a Vitamix (or food processor), combine blanched basil/arugula, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper. Turn on low and quickly increase speed to a 10, then turn up to high for 30-45 seconds until a smooth, thick puree forms. Add blanching water by tablespoonfuls to thin pesto if needed and stop occasionally to scrape sides.
4. Transfer basil/arugula pesto mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup We Olive Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Preparation of the Omelet:
1. Using an Omelet pan (with glass lid), melt butter and add 3 eggs well beaten. Sprinkle salt and pepper over top. Place lid over top and cook on low for approximately 3 minutes.
2. On one half of the eggs, add fresh Basil and Arugula Pesto Sauce, Goat Cheese, and sliced Avocado, leaving a small amount of each to garnish top of omelet.
3. Cover with lid again and let cook about 3 more minutes or until hot.
4. When the egg is cooked through, use large spatula and flip the empty half of the eggs on top of the half with pesto sauce, goat cheese and avocado. Replace lid for about one more minute.
5. Garnish with a little Pesto, Goat Cheese and piece or two of avocado. Then, pour the reduced balsamic across top at an angle. Serve.
Notes: Basil & Arugula Pesto Sauce should be made prior and kept in refrigerator until ready to use.
To reduce Aged Balsamic Vinegar, pour into small saucepan and cook at medium heat until it has reduced to about 1 tablespoon and it consistency is thick.