This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes from our 2013 Grand Prize Winner Margee Berry. Margee’s salad of warm grilled plums and soft Burrata cheese are finished with a smokey dressing.
2 tablespoons plum infused balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon packed smoked brown sugar
1/3 cup We Olive Fresh Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 thick sliced applewood smoked bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch crosswise pieces
3 firm ripe plums
1- 4 ounce drained Burrata cheese ball*
5 ounces mixed baby greens, rinsed and spun dry
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat a standard outdoor grill to medium-high direct heat.
- Make a glaze and dressing by whisking vinegar, mustard and brown sugar in a small bowl; add oil in a stream, whisking until mixture emulsifies. Whisk in shallots, set aside.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet over medium heat stirring a few times until bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon onto paper towels to drain.
- Cut plums in half lengthwise, remove pits then lightly brush all over with the prepared glaze/ dressing. Place plum halves on grill rack, turn a few times until grill marks appear about 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer plums to cutting surface, when cool enough to handle slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch wedges.
- To serve pat dry cheese with paper towel, gently slice cheese into 1 inch pieces. Divide baby greens onto each of 4 salad plates, arrange plum wedges and cheese onto each. Sprinkle almonds and bacon over last drizzle with prepared dressing.
Notes: Fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese can be used instead of the Burrata cheese. To toast almonds place in a small skillet over medium heat, shake skillet often until almonds are golden all over about 4 minutes.