This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil recipe contest submission comes from Allison Marotta, a We Olive & Wine Bar La Jolla customer. Allison tell us, “This recipe is a great appetizer to serve with grilled bread and features fresh clams in a white wine butter sauce. It can easily be turned into an entree by adding pasta. Healthier options would be to add chicken sausage and/or zucchini pasta. The abundance of fresh herbs and tomatoes make this a perfect summer dinner.”
1 Shallot, sliced
3-5 Garlic cloves, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
Two dozen clams
3 Tablespoons of We Olive Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 Grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/4 Cup dry white wine
1/2 pound ground Italian pork sausage (can substitute chicken or turkey sausage)
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon chopped basil
Crushed red pepper to taste
1-3 Tablespoons shredded parmesan
1) Put the clams in a bowl of salted ice water to extract any sand or dirt.
2) Heat pan on medium high. Add sausage and cook until browned and cooked fully, about 10 minutes.
3) When the sausage is finished cooking, transfer to a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
4) Wipe pan and add the olive oil. Once heated, add the shallots and cook for about 2 minutes.
5) Add garlic and cook about 1 minute or less (do not burn)
6) Add the white wine, clams and cover. Cook until clams are open, about 5 minutes
7) Uncover and put the heat on low. Add the sausage back to the pan.
8) Mix in 1 tablespoon butter, the lemon zest, basil and parsley. Top with parmesan and crushed red pepper.
9) Serve with your favorite slice of crusty bread.