This Discover Cooking with California Olive Oil Recipe Contest submission comes to us from Margee Berry, a customer of We Olive & Wine Bar at the OC Mix. Margee’s recipe is a slightly spicy Thai style fresh pineapple chutney served on top of grilled salmon and a quick-pickled cucumber salad that helps round out the dish with it’s crispy cooling components.
- 1/3 cup We Olive Misson Olive Oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Thai or regular basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets (preferably wild salmon)
- 1/2 cup We Olive Pineapple White Balsamic Vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger,divided
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into paper thin rounds (use a mandoline slicer if available)
- 2 cups chopped, peeled and cored fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon Thai garlic chile sauce
1. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, basil, garlic and orange peel in a non-reactive dish. Lay salmon fillets skin side up in dish. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile whisk 1/3 cup vinegar, sugar and 2 teaspoons ginger in a non-reactive container. Add cucumber slices and toss to coat. Let stand to quick-pickle the cucumbers.
3. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté pineapple, bell pepper, green onion and jalapeno for 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to food processor along with the remaining vinegar, ginger, fish sauce, mint and chile sauce, and pulse until slightly chunky. Return mixture to same skillet and keep warm on low while grilling salmon.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. On a large piece of heavy foil with the edges rolled up to form a rim, lay salmon skin side down. Spoon excess marinade over salmon. Slide foil onto grill rack and cover with lid. Let salmon grill just until opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork about 8 minutes.
5. To serve, run a metal spatula under the salmon (skin will remain on foil) and place 1 fillet onto each of 4 plates. Top with warm pineapple chutney and serve with the pickled cucumber salad.
Leave a Reply